Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Anonymity in 12 Step Fellowships


We hear the word anonymity in meetings during the readings and in discussion.  The 12th tradition: Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities. In some other fellowships they have added readings that refer to anonymity as the anonymous person in fellowship; we are not our age, race, creed, colour, profession, etc. we are a first name and we belong as a member when we say we do.  I think it’s interesting when I looked up the definitions it stated: freedom from identification, lack of distinctiveness, state of being unnoticed (blending into a crowd), an unnamed person.  

When first coming into a fellowship being “anonymous” was very important to me.  I knew my identity was protected in meetings and that helped me to recover because I felt respected. I figured it must be important and followed by members if it’s built into the name of the fellowship. I learned that being anonymous was not about any shame or stigma about the label “addict”, “codependent”, etc.  We learn in the rooms to accept what and who we are and find a new way to live by the spiritual principles we find in the 12 steps and traditions.
At the same time we are anonymous, we also share our story with others outside the room, where guided by our Higher Power and the 11th tradition.  There are different variations of the 11th tradition, however it is basically stated as: our public relations policy is based on attraction rather than promotion; we need always maintain personal anonymity at the level of press, radio, and films.  Many people can relate to our story one-to-one and may check out a meeting to see if it’s for them.  I began attending meetings because another person shared their story and asked if I wanted to come along with them to a meeting. Without our disclosure to others, they may never know this way of life.  I am also able to share my story when doing service in hospitals and institutions, there is usually a service committee set up within the fellowship which offers this option. There is a saying in AA “You may be the only Big Book another person reads.”
As years have passed other more complex ideas behind anonymity have come to light for me.  Humility and selflessness are some of the spiritual principles of anonymity.  At the group level we follow our traditions for survival. When I began to serve outside the home group level I saw how this was paramount in preventing a concentration of "power" among a limited few.  There will never be a spokesperson for a 12 step fellowship; anonymity keeps us safe from Big Shots and big egos.  We give up the desire for personal recognition and pride.  It ensures that the needs of the many are not derailed by the self-will of the few. 
At the group level there is an adage “what you hear here, stays here.” Following this statement by refraining from gossip will ensure our fellows a fair chance at recovery.  By engaging in gossip I’m turning away from the principles and focusing on the personalities. When I share in the meeting it is not the specific details of my story that matter, it is my experience, strength, and hope. By sharing this I am practicing step 12 to help others, gain inner peace, and practicing spiritual principles such as honesty and humility. 
Giving of myself to others is the way I can keep what I have which is sobriety – soundness of mind, recovery – change, and inner peace – serenity.  I give away what was taught to me by other members of the fellowship, including people in meetings, and through the literature.  Self-sacrifice is the key change in our behaviour which brings us to a place of spiritual living and humility.  As I apply the spiritual principles in my life I learn over and over that I am capable of turning my will and life over to the care of a Higher Power. 
In tradition 12 we are asked to put principles before personalities.  Meaning that we listen for our Higher Power’s will for us and practice the principles of recovery in all our affairs.  Recovery is a process of growth and change, living one day at a time.  Whether we are at home with our families or out in the world, we have an opportunity to practice this tradition’s principles of humility, honesty, open-mindedness, willingness, compassion, tolerance, and patience with everyone, whether we like them or not. Anonymity makes it possible for our spiritual foundation and connection to our Higher Power to become more important than our egos.  Sounds like a peaceful state to me.  Bonnie J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I welcome comments as it is a way for me to learn and grow. Thanks for keeping the comments 'PG' as this is a public site. Blessings and Love <3 Bonnie