Saturday, October 27, 2012

Step Work


In 12 step fellowships we follow the steps as a way of life; that is to say most of us put pen to paper and work on each step in order.  We do this with the guidance of a sponsor and once a portion of work is complete, we sit with our sponsor and share what we have found.  Some people continue to do steps 1-12 throughout their recovery using various step guides or fellowship literature.  Other people may do the steps through once and then continue 10, 11, and 12 as the maintenance steps for the remainder of their recovery.  Some people in recovery never do any written work and only attend meetings.  There are as many ways to do the steps as there are 12 step fellowships. 

To look at the idea of step work I’m going to go back to the original source of all the fellowships:  the book Alcoholics Anonymous which was written by the first 100 people in the fellowship by the same title.  There are two ideas I found presented on how to work the steps.  The first is found in the chapter called “Bill’s Story”, there is an explanation of Bill Wilson’s (one of the founder’s of AA) experience going through the steps.  It seems he was able to complete the steps in a matter of hours and days.  On page 13 of the fourth edition it seems he manages to complete step 3-11 and part of 12 in very short course. The only written work in his steps seemed to be the list of resentments/amends.  Farther along in the book is the description of how the first 100 people were working the steps.  In the Chapter “How it Works” there are a number of references to doing written step work:
In reference to the various parts of the 4th step inventory:
1. Page 64 “In dealing with resentments, we set them on paper.”
2. Page 67 “We placed them before us in black and white.”
3. Page 68 “We reviewed our fears thoroughly.  We put them on paper”
4. Page 69 “we got this all down on paper and looked at it.” 
Then referring to steps 8 and 9 on page 76 “We have a list of all persons we have harmed and to whom we are willing to make amends.” 
Then finally in the AA book I come to page 164 “Our book is meant to be suggestive only.  We realize we know only a little. God will constantly disclose more to you and to us.” Since this book was published in the 1939 there have been so many advances in the field of addiction.  The book has stood the test of time along with it’s idea that alcoholism is an “allergy”.  Currently, addiction is now listed in the DSM which is used to diagnose hundreds of different mental disorders.  Research has been ongoing with the disease of addiction and its many manifestations with alcohol, drugs, gambling, sex, etc.  There have been countless books written on addiction, the steps, recovery, etc.  The various recovery centres and homes, rehabilitation or detox and withdrawal management centres all have their unique take on “cures” or help for the addicted and codependent person.  So is there one right way to work the steps?  I would say no.  I think it depends on the fellowship you belong to, your sponsor, and where you are at in recovery. 
My experience with step work has been in AA and NA and I have looked at both addiction in all its manifestations as well as codependency. Each time I go through the steps with a sponsor I learn and grow more than I would have thought possible.  It deepens the relationship I have with the other person; be it my sponsor or sponsee.  There are a number of step working guides out there and I have found a few very useful.  The NA Step Working Guide is comprehensive and versatile which means it can be used for any type of addiction.  I have found this to be the most thorough guide; it sections by step and then breaks the step into sections, outlines spiritual principles and then has a “moving on” area at the end of each step.  This guide works in conjunction with all of the other NA literature including the book It Works: How and Why.  Hazelden has a step guide based on the AA Big Book and their book A Program for You.  I have completed this guide in a small group of 3 and it was very helpful in keeping on track and asking questions to elaborate on different parts of each step.  The book Alcoholics Anonymous is itself a step guide.  It can be used as an instruction manual for sobriety and brings the reader through each step.  It can be used in conjunction with the AA Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions.  Finally, I want to talk about A Women’s Way Through the Twelve Steps, it is a guide with a companion book by the same name.  I found it to be a light review of the steps and an interesting journey t o take with girlfriends in recovery.  I would never recommend it for a first time through the steps as it doesn’t seem to be as hard hitting as other options.  There are a few other books and guides I have read or reviewed but I seem to always go back to the NA Step Guide for any and all issues.  It is thorough and I know many people who use this guide in many different fellowships. 
No matter which way you chose to do the steps, remember we cannot do them alone.  It is through the value of one person helping another that healing can start.  Step work is something that I cannot imagine not having in my life today.  Every week I am meeting with someone at least once to go over step work of one type or another.  I think that there are so many different ways to work the steps because we are always growing and learning new approaches or going back to the tried and true ways.  Recovery is a way of life and it is only through step work that I have been able to see where my problems are and what solutions I am working toward.  Happy step work! Bonnie J.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I welcome comments as it is a way for me to learn and grow. Thanks for keeping the comments 'PG' as this is a public site. Blessings and Love <3 Bonnie