Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Attitude is Everything




I found this quote about attitude online and it really spoke to me.  I recently have had some dealings with some people who say they want to make healthy changes in their life.  When they are given solutions or have solutions it usually ends in "ya but", "I know, but". I remember saying that to people years ago and now I see I didn’t want the solution bad enough.  It's so defeating to have an excuse to stay the same, stay in the drama, stay in the sick thinking, the rescuing, the enabling, the addictions.  We can all come up with an excuse in order to do what is easy. 
Finally, I came to realized that I could just move forward and learn to remove the "but" and replace it with a "yes!"  My whole attitude and outlook changed.  I no longer felt defeated by outside events, other people, and anything else beyond my control. I was living in the solution and I still try to do that today. 

I have a choice today about how I want to live my life.  I don't want to clean up other peoples mess, hear gossip, or become embroiled in someone else’s drama.  I want to be around positive people, set healthy boundaries, empowering myself and others, and practice the spiritual principles in my daily life; one day at a time.  I can achieve all these things by having an attitude of gratitude and a spirit that says YES, I can do this, I will overcome the obstacle that is blocking me from my happiness.  If I have to live with an obstacle for a while I will find the gratitude in the situation.
I love that quote, it’s kind of cliché, from Shawshank Redemption “Get busy living or get busy dying.”  This life is not a dress rehearsal and I don’t want to have regrets at the end.  I don’t want to wake up in 20 years and see I let life pass me by. 
I’m in terrible pain everyday but I can’t let that stop me from achieving my goals.  I will be in pain if I sit at home or if I’m out for coffee with a friend.  I find that my symptoms actually diminish when I’m helping and encouraging someone, or just listening.  Believe me I’m not planning on jet skiing or skydiving, I believe in pacing myself, but I want to live the life that has been so graciously given to me.  I love the freedom and growth I’ve found in having a positive attitude.  I found that attitude of gratitude in the 12 steps.  Blessings!  Bonnie J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. I welcome comments as it is a way for me to learn and grow. Thanks for keeping the comments 'PG' as this is a public site. Blessings and Love <3 Bonnie